DR SHAUN O'LEARY (continued)
FACP PhD MPhtySt(Musc) BPhty(Hons)
PUBLICATIONS (2012 - 2015)
• Quek J, Treleaven J, Brauer S, O’Leary S, Clark R. Intra-rater reliability of hallux flexor strength measures using the Nintendo Wii Balance Board. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. Accepted for publication 17/08/2015. MS:1203681626168419
• Peterson G, Landén Ludvigsson M, O’Leary S, Dedering Ĺ, Wallman T, Jönsson M, Peolsson A. The effect of three different exercise approaches on neck muscle endurance, kinesiophobia, exercise compliance, and patient satisfaction in chronic whiplash. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. Accepted for publication 06/06/2015.
• O’Leary S, Jull G, Van Wyk L, Pedler A, Elliott J. Morphological changes in the cervical muscles of female patients with chronic whiplash can be modified with exercise - a pilot study. Muscle and Nerve. Accepted for publication 10/02/2015.
• O’Leary S, Christensen S, Verouhis A, Pape M, Nilsen O, McPhail S. Agreement between physiotherapists rating scapular posture in multiple planes in patients with neck pain. Physiotherapy. Accepted for publication 14/01/2015.
• Marks D, Bisset L, Thomas M, O’Leary S, Comans T, Ng SK, Conaghan P, Scuffham PA. An experienced physiotherapist prescribing and administering corticosteroid and local anaesthetic injections to the shoulder in an Australian orthopaedic service: a non-inferiority RCT and economic analysis. Trials. Accepted for publication 28/11/2014.
• Landén Ludvigsson M, Peterson G, O’Leary S, Dedering Ĺ, Peolsson A. The effect of neck-specific exercise with, or without a behavioral approach, on pain, disability and self-efficacy in chronic whiplash-associated disorders. A randomized clinical trial. Clinical Journal of Pain. 31(4):294-303.
• Peolsson A, Peolsson M, Jull G, Löfstedt T, Trygg J, O´Leary S. A preliminary evaluation of dorsal muscle activity during resisted cervical extension in patients with longstanding pain and disability following Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion. Physiotherapy. 101(1):69-74. doi: 10.1016/j.physio.2014.04.010.
• Comans TA, O’Leary S, Raymer M, Smith D, Scuffham P. (2014) Cost-effectiveness of a physiotherapist-led service for orthopaedic outpatients. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy. 19(4):216-23.
• Van Der Werff R, O’Leary S, Jull G, Peolsson M, Trygg J, Peolsson A. (2014) A Speckle Tracking Application of Ultrasound to Evaluate Activity of Multilayered Cervical Muscles. Journal of Rehabilitative Medicine. 46(7):662-7.
• Johnston V, O’Leary S, Comans T, Straker L, Melloh M, Khan A, Sjřgaard G. (2014) A workplace exercise versus health promotion intervention to prevent and reduce the economic and personal burden of non-specific neck pain in office personnel: A cluster randomized controlled trial. Journal of Physiotherapy. 60(4):233.
• Elliott J, Pedler A, Jull G, Van Wyk L, Galloway G, O’Leary S. (2014) Differential Changes in Muscle Composition Exist in Traumatic and Non-Traumatic Neck Pain. Spine. 39(1):39-47.
• O’Leary S, Lund M, Johan Ytre-Hauge T, Reiersen Holm S, Naess K, Nagelstad Dalland L, McPhail S. (2014) Pitfalls in the use of Kappa when interpreting agreement between multiple raters in reliability studies. Physiotherapy. 100(1):27-35.
• Peolsson A, Marstein E, McNamara T, Nolan D, Sjaaberg E, Peolsson M, Jull G, O´Leary S. (2014) Does posture of the cervical spine influence dorsal neck muscle activity when lifting? Manual Therapy. 19(1):32-36.
• Peolsson A, Peolsson M, Jull G, O´Leary S. (2013) Cervical muscle activity during loaded arm lifts in patients 10 years post-surgery for cervical disc disease. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 36(5):292-9.
• Peolsson A, Peolsson M, Jull G, O´Leary S. (2013) Is there a difference in the pattern of muscle activity when performing neck exercises with a guild board versus a pulley? Journal of Rehabilitative Medicine. 45(9):900-5.
• McPhail S, Nagelstad Dalland L, Naess K, Lund M, Johan Ytre-Hauge T, Reiersen Holm S, O’Leary S. (2012) Intra-therapist Reliability in the Rating of Scapula Posture in Multiple Planes of Reference. ISRN Rehabilitation. Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 957389, 8 pages. ISSN: 2090-6137 (Online) doi:10.1155/3937.
• Sheard B, Elliott J, Cagnie B, O’Leary S. (2012) Evaluating Serratus Anterior Muscle Function in Neck Pain using Muscle Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 35(8):629-35.
• O’Leary S, Jull G, Kim M, Uthaikhup S, Vicenzino B. (2012) Training mode dependent changes in motor performance in neck pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.93:1225-1233.
• Zakharova-Luneva E, Jull G, Johnston V, O’Leary S. (2012) Altered trapezius muscle behaviour in individuals with neck pain and clinical signs of scapular dysfunction. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 35(5):346-53.
• Falla D, O’Leary S, Farina D, Jull G. (2012) The change in deep cervical flexor activity following training is associated with the degree of pain reduction in patients with chronic neck pain. The Clinical Journal of Pain. 28(7):628-34.
SELECTION OF PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (pre 2012)
• O’Leary S, Falla D, Jull G. (2011) The relationship between superficial muscle activity during the cranio-cervical flexion test and clinical features in patients with chronic neck pain. Manual Therapy. 16: 452-455.
• O’Leary S, Cagnie B, Reeve A, Jull G, Elliott J. (2011) Is there altered activity of the extensor muscles in chronic mechanical neck pain? A functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 92:929-934.
• Elliott J, O’Leary S, Cagnie B, Durbridge G, Danneels, L, Jull G. (2010) Cranio-Cervical Orientation Affects Muscle Recruitment Patterns When Exercising the Cervical Extensors in Healthy Subjects. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 91:1418-22.
• van Wyk L, Jull G, Vicenzino B, Greaves M, O’Leary S. (2010) A comparison of cranio-cervical and cervico-thoracic muscle strength in healthy individuals. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 26(4):400-6.
• O’Leary S, Falla D, Hodges P, Jull G, Vicenzino B. (2007) Specific therapeutic exercise of the neck induces immediate local hypoalgesia. Journal of Pain. 8:832-9.
• O’Leary S, Jull G, Kim, M, Vicenzino B. (2007) Cranio-cervical flexor muscle impairment at maximal, moderate, and low loads is a feature of neck pain. Manual Therapy. 12: 34-39.
• O’Leary S, Falla D, Jull G, Vicenzino B. (2007) Muscle specificity in tests of cervical flexor muscle performance. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 17:35-40.
• O’Leary S, Falla D, Elliott J, Jull G (2009) AWARD WINNING PAPER: Muscle Dysfunction in Cervical Spine Pain: Implications for Assessment and Management. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 39(5): 324-333.
• Jull G, Sterling M, Falla D, Treleavan J, O’Leary S. BOOK: Whiplash, Headache and Neck Pain. London: Churchill Livingstone, 2008.
• Jull G, Falla D, Treleavan J, Sterling M, O’Leary S. BOOK CHAPTER: A therapeutic exercise approach for cervical disorders. In: Boyling JD, Jull G editors. Grieve’s Modern Manual Therapy 3rd edn. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone: 451-469 (2004).
SELECTION of RECENT NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS (2010 - 2015)
• O'Leary S. MRI informing exercise prescription for neck pain. Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia - 17th Biennial Conference, Brisbane, Australia
• O’Leary S, Cagnie B, Reeve A, Jull G, Elliott J. (2011) Is there altered activity of the extensor muscles in chronic mechanical neck pain? A functional magnetic
• O’Leary S. Streamlining the selection of patients for management within the Orthopaedic Physiotherapy Screening Clinic and Multidisciplinary Service in Queensland Health. Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia - 18th Biennial Conference, Melbourne, Australia (17-20th October 2013).
Level 1, 50 York Street, Sydney NSW 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 61 2 9299 0700 fax: 61 2 9299 0400